THE MINOR SPORTS CLUB

Something is lacking in the organization of minor sports in the University. There is nothing creditable in a statement that reads:--"New Haven teams have eclipsed their rivals almost completely in the minor games." Failure seems to be due to a lack of interest or spirit; this proves one thing--that there is not the necessary incentive to bring success. The reward does not pay the effort.

It ought to be a matter of pride to represent Harvard in any way. What can be done to instill this feeling to a greater degree into the large number of men who have skill in something less than the five major sports? Their efforts demand more recognition than they receive at present.

The best suggestion is the formation of a Minor Sports Club along the lines of the present Varsity Club. The chief gain would be a co-ordination to the end that all lesser sports be pervaded with a spirit now very much lacking. Training tables, which are necessary to several teams, meetings addressed by prominent graduates, and a central gathering place for all minor letter men would achieve that end. Nothing arouses more interest in athletics than an opportunity to get together and "talk shop." Not least in importance would be the spread of a feeling that every man must keep himself fit to give his best to a Harvard team.

The University's poor record outside of the major sports must not continue permanently. There is plenty of material for the lesser teams, and there is skilled coaching to train it. The interest; the feeling of pride in doing one's work, is all that is missing to change defeats into victories. Membership in a Minor Sports Club would go far to supply the recognition and reward for long training and hard work that is vital to the success of any athletic team.