ARGENTINA S WITHDRAWAL

Senator Borah's comment on the withdrawal of Argentina from the Assembly of the League of Nations was short: "The Argentine has started the stampede. All except Great Britain will follow in due course of time." This might well be the opinion of an enemy of the whole League idea. It cannot be acceptable to the thousands of Americans who distrusted President Wilson's high-handed action, yet sincerely desire a League. For the great majority of voters there need be no such pessimistic outlook.

The action of Argentina, as Senor Pueyrredon of that country explained, does not mean necessarily a complete separation from the League. From the withdrawal of one country's delegation from the Assembly to the "stampede" of Senator Borah's prediction is a long step. Moreover the significance of the action means much less when we remember that this is the League's first meeting. That everything should go smoothly among so many peoples of the wide world, that the machinery of the League should move without the slightest friction at its first trial was not to be expected. It was a wise step that Commission One took in deciding against discussion of amendments in this session; the League is young and inexperienced, and intelligent amendments can be added only when its weaknesses are apparent. Argentina's proceeding is not that of a country long experienced is solving world problems. The enemies of the League take it gladly as the first step to ruin; yet is there not every reason to expect unwise action which will mean, in the end when it has been talked out, and a decision reached, a closer understanding.

It is true that if every nation insisted on its amendments being adopted immediately under the threat of withdrawal-- as Argentina has done--the "stampede would follow." But nations which have sent delegations to the Assembly in all sincerity and seriousness are not ready to adopt this attitude at the first example. Relations between countries in new surroundings may be strained for a time without damage to the future. Only an implacable conservative could believe that the newness will not wear off. Senator Borah will find few who see in Argentine's action the utter ruin of the League of Nations.