HOLD DEBATING TRIALS NEXT MONDAY EVENING

JUNIORS TAKE INTERCLASS TITLE

Trials for the University debating team will be held in Sever 11 next Monday evening, December 13, at 7.30 o'clock. It is hoped that a number of new men will report at this time, because a longer and more difficult schedule is being made up for this season than for any past year. The candidates will be expected to make five-minute speeches on either side of the question: "Resolved: That the Federal Government should own and operate the coal mines of the United States." The constitutionality of such a step is to be granted, and will not, therefore, enter into the question. All undergraduates, including Freshmen, are eligible for the debating team.

Meet Bates and Colgate

The first event of the present season will be a triangular debate with Bates and Colgate to be held on January 15. The University will uphold the affirmative against Bates at Lewiston, Maine, and the negative against Colgate at Hamilton, New York. The subject for this debate is the same as will be used in the trials next week.

On March 18, the annual triangular debate with Yale and Princeton is scheduled. Yale will meet the University at Cambridge this year, while another University team will journey to Princeton. The subject is to be announced on February 21.

Two trips are now being considered for the spring vacation period. Correspondence has been carried on with the University of Washington, which was defeated in a debate here last year, regarding a return debate, to be included in a projected western trip. Negotiations for a southern trip have been taking place, but at present no definite announcement can be made.

Eight former University and Freshman debaters have returned to College and will form a good nucleus for this season's activities. There are three Seniors and five Juniors among these men as follows: B. F. Jones '22, President, G. P. Bickford '22, S. B. Colby '21, M. H. Donner '21, W. S. Holbrook Jr. '21, E. D. Hutchinson '22, B. H. Kuhns '22 and C. S. Phelps '22.

Juniors Win Class Honors

Though the regular season will start next week, debating began with the Interclass Debate recently held. The team representing the Junior class, composed of G. P. Bickford, W. R. Brewster and S. A. Rosenblatt, won the championship of the College by defeating the Sophomore team, W. J. Maier, J. M. Wyman and L. B. Young, who had previously won from the Freshmen. No Senior team was formed. It is expected that the experience gained in these debates will prove of value to these men in their work for the University team.

Every season a Freshman debating organization, separate from the University team, is formed some time during the fall. W. S. Holbrook Jr. '21 is in charge of the committee this year to manage Freshman debating affairs and an announcement on this subject is expected within the next few days.