THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER -- REVIEWS -- DRAMATIC NOTES

Flashing Wit and Humor of Famous Author Delights Full House

The Copley Players have again revived "Fanny's First Play," that supreme example of Shavian wit. Capably presented by Mr. Henry Jewett's Company, the play is a delectable piece of wit and humor. It is almost impossible to express how thoroughly enjoyable are the many ironic, sarcastic and ridiculous speeches which Mr. Shaw has put into the mouth of his characters. One cannot help thinking how much pleasure the author had in writing the play; in so thinking one's enjoyment is increased many fold.

His first blow is for the critics, whom he divides into four classes, and then by means of brightly entertaining dialogue, levels them with the very meanest worm that ever crawled the earth's surface. It seems that Shaw took particular delight in "roasting" the critics of whom he has always had small opinion. It was he who once said "Produce me your best critic, and I will criticise his head off." He does. But one wonders if this clan does not like it; if the critics, so often feared, or forgotten, by the playwrights, do not enjoy the play the more for the fact that its author neither fears nor forgets them.

Similarly, every type of person, every touchy weakness--of "us mortals," is picked up, held to public gaze, ridiculed and thrown in the discard. It is certain that one person alone would not enjoy this play; but when comfortably seated in the midst of a large audience, it is as delightful as it could be, for then one is sure that it is always the 'other person" at whom the missile is aimed. It seems to be somewhat of a case of "You can make some of the people wince all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't make all of the people wince all of the time."

The characters are well portrayed by the players, and, in spite of a Monday-night inaccuracy of lines, one feels that Mr. Jewett's actors have acquitted themselves well. May Ediss as "Dora" and Viola Roach as "Mrs. Knox," were particularly effective in the characterization of these two very essential parts. E. E. Clive cleverly played the henpecked husband, while Robert Noble did well in the delightful and familiar figure of the irate father, Mr. Gilbey. The only thing which one might wish for is less drawn-out speeches, which are difficult to speak and follow. Still, they are full of unexpected humor, and the whole is a thoroughly enjoyable performance