PROMINENT SPEAKERS PRAISE PRES. ELIOT

WILL ADMIT WOMEN

The belief that education could and should be taught as a separate subject in the University, conceived twenty-five years ago by President Eliot, was fully realized last night when nearly 200 prominent educators gathered in the Union to celebrate the establishment of the University Graduate School of Education. No sentiment was more unanimously expressed by the speakers than that the celebration should be in honor of President Eliot.

Governor Calvin Coolidge, the first speaker, in commending the establishment of the school, said: "In these troubled times there is a vital demand for schools and for teachers. In meeting this demand Harvard University is rendering a signal service to the community and to the nation.

Plan Effective Vocational Guidance.

Professor Holmes '93 of the Department of Education spoke next. In his talk he outlined at length the scope and purpose of the new school.

Professor Holmes spoke also of the reasons which had led to the decision that women should be admitted to the school.

President Eliot emphasized the need of opportunities for educational advancement in order that it should keep pace with the advancement of the world. "The world is full of educational advancement of the world. "The world is full of educational adventures," he said, "and we must have leaders for these adventures. And if education is to be improved it must be improved from the top."

Dr. Wallace Buttrick, chairman of the General Education board, through whose generority the school owes in large part its establishment, crystallized the sentiment of the occasion when he said: "In naming the fund of the school the Charles William Eliot Fund it is not so much honoring him as honoring us."

Specialized Training Necessary.

Professor P. H. Hanus, of the Department of Education, then pointed out the necessity of specialized training in educational leadership.

"We must make sure," he said in concluding, "that educational means, methods, and results, including all that is involved in educational administration, is subject to perennial scrutiny. To do this is the function of the new school."

President Lowell, the concluding speaker, said: "Education has heretofore been concerned too much with the mechanics of education. The object of our new, school will be to study the ultimate effect of different phases of teaching on the human mind. Furthermore we must not look to teach the problems of the present, but the problems of the future."