EARLY PRINTS AND DRAWINGS ON EXHIBIT AT FOGG MUSEUM

SIX WORKS BY DURER

An exhibition of early prints and drawings has been opened in the Print Room of the Fogg Art Museum. Among the Italian prints shown are the so-called Otto print, a unique impression; the Assumption of the virgin, formerly attributed to Botticelli; and the Battle of the Nudes, the only plate known to have been engraved by the painter and sculptor Antonio Pollaiuolo. Especially interesting in connection with the engraving by Pollaiuolo is a drawing by the artist, probably a study for the engraving. The great artist, Andrea Mantegna, is represented by very fine impressions of four of his plates.

Of the German school there is a print by the Master E. S., the first great German engraver; several by Martin Schongauer, and six by Albrecht Durer. The Durer group includes a wonderful silvery impression of St. Jerome in his Cell, a fine impression of the enigmatical Melancholia, who still ponders as she has been doing for 400 years, and a superb Knight of Death. A drawing by Durer for a wood-cut adds especial interest to the little group of works by this great man.

Dutch Art Illustrated.

Engravings by Lucas van Leyden, Dirick Vellert, and Allart Claesz illustrate the art of engraving as it was practiced in the Netherlands in the early 16th century, and Dutch art in the fulness of its flowering is shown by a group of drawings and etchings by the 17th century painter and one of the world's greatest master etchers, Rembrandt. The pen-drawing of an old man shows how perfectly the great artist knew how to choose the significant line, omitting all that was not essential, and a wash drawing of Joseph in the Carpenter's Shop is a good illustration of his use of chiaroscuro. Of the etchings shown, the Three Trees and Christ Healing the Sick, popularly known as the "Hundred Guilder Print," are among Rembrandt's most important, and justly most famous works.