Bursting Water Main Floods The Heating Tunnel--Street Caves In

The water main to the Freshman dormitories burst yesterday afternoon and was not discovered until the heating tunnel had been flooded to a depth of ten feet. The level of water had risen to the bottom of the serving tunnel which connects the dormitories when and engine was secured from the Cambridge Fire Department and this tunnel was saved.

In spite of the engine the water level rose to fifteen feet, flooding the serving tunnel. The water was finally turned off. Cold water around the pipes seriously interfered with the heating system for the Yard yast night.

At the point where the tunnel passes under the sidewalk in the rear of Gore Hall the street caved in as the sand and gravel beneath it were washed away and a pocket of water had formed.

Engineers stated late last night that as soon as the water had been pumped from this pocket, excavations would be made in front of Randolph Hall. It is expected that another pool has formed in that locality. This new move was to be made at 5 o'clock this morning.

The leak was finally discovered by the use of stethoscopes. By applying these instrument to the ground the varying sound of the water which is under 900 pounds' pressure could be distinctly heard.