ROOSEVELT SPEAKS IN UNION

CRIMSON WILL TENDER DINNER TO ASS'T SECRETARY OF THE NAVY.

Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, will lecture on "The Americanization of Government Affairs" in the Living Room of the Union next Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock. Professor R. B. Merriman will introduce the lecturer. Secretary Roosevelt, who is known to be a forceful speaker, will speak of the work of the Navy Department during the war.

Throughout the war Mr. Roosevelt was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy, in which capacity he served with great distinction. During Mr. Daniels' many absences he served as Acting Secretary and was left at the head of naval affairs. Mr. Roosevelt resigned from the New York Senate in 1913 to assume his duties as Assistant Secretary. Previous to that he had practiced law in New York City. He is one of the Overseers of the University.

Crimson Dinner for Roosevelt.

The editors of the CRIMSON will tender Secretary Roosevelt a dinner just before the lecture. President Lowell and other officers of the University have been invited and several former editors of the CRIMSON will be present. Mr. Roosevelt was President of the CRIMSON when in College.

Secretary Roosevelt is the first of a number of Harvard graduates who will speak at the Union on government affairs. Colonel Arthur Woods '92, Police Commissioner of New York City, will lecture on "College Men in Governmental Work" about the middle of March. Major-General Leonard Wood '84, and Colonel Theodore Roosevelt '09, of the New York Assembly, are expected to speak some time in April on subjects as yet unannounced. All of the speakers are expected to emphasize the place of the college graduate in the new order of things.