RELAY TEAM LOSES TO YALE IN CLOSE RACE

MARGIN ONLY ONE FOOT

By a scant foot the University relay quartet was defeated by Yale last Saturday evening at the New York Athletic Club Games in one of the most sensational relay races of the year. At the start of the race, E. C. Driscoll of Yale took the lead and set the pace for W. H. Goodwin '20 until the last lap, when Goodwin pushed him hard. A. W. Douglas '21 started off with a yard handicap, but fumbled the baton and lost three yards to W. D. Prizer. On the last lap Douglas spurted past the Yale runner, and gave J. A. McCarthy '22 a two-yard lead.

McCarthy, likewise, fumbled the baton, and F. W. Hillis of Yale succeeded in giving a one-yard lead to T. J. O'Brien, the Yale anchor-man. Captain D. F. O'Connell '21 ran his usual steady race and in the last lap made a desperate attempt to beat O'Brien to the tape, losing by a foot.

The finish was intensely exciting, even more so than in the relay between the University and Cornell at Albany on January 24.

Thompson Wins Hurdles

In the other events of collegiate interest E. J. Thompson of Dartmouth defeated W. Smith of Cornell in the 80-yard hurdles. In the 500-yard run W. E. Stevenson of Princeton was second to R. Maxam of Pennsylvania, while D. B. Lourie of Princeton won the 75-yard handicap race. J. G. Simmons of Syracuse, who won individual honors last fall in cross country runs, was only able to win third place in the Baxter mile. The University of Pennsylvania won the relay race with Rutgers, Columbia and Georgetown.