THE PERSHING SNUB.

The proposed snub to General Pershing by certain officers of the Twenty-sixth division is unworthy of those who should, by their actions and by their attitude, prove themselves fit to uphold the American traditions of military courtesy. There are many in high places who appear to put politics above patriotism, who so far lack dignity and self-respect as to regard themselves in the light of political henchmen rather than "officers and gentlemen."

The vast majority of Americans, including those of us who had the good fortune to serve overseas, are not in a position to know the "inside facts" regarding the unfair discrimination alleged to have taken place in the choice of officers for the command of the Twenty-sixth or any other division of the United States Army, but they unqualifiedly condemn those who endeavor to make of such alleged discrimination a personal or political issue. The war was fought for the defeat of Germany and not for the making of military reputations.

An officer upon whom the Congress of the United States has conferred the permanent rank of General must be considered to represent by the insignia and the uniform which he wears the military establishment and the prestige of the United States. An insult to such an officer is an insult to that military establishment, to the prestige of the United States and to every American soldier and citizen.