NEW EXHIBIT IN TREASURE ROOM

Collections of First Cambridge Books and Early Foreign Manuscripts.

Two interesting collections of books have been placed on exhibition in the Treasure Room of Widener Library this week. The first includes some of the earliest books and broadsides printed in Cambridge, such as the Bay Psalm Book, the Indian Bible, works of New England Theology, and the early College Commencement Programs; also the Essex Gazette, which during the Revolution was brought over to Cambridge from Salem and printed in one of the rooms of Stoughton Hall.

These books were laid out in connection with an address given at a meeting of the Cambridge Historical Society last week by Mr. George P. Winship, Librarian of the Widener Collection.

The second collection consists of a number of early books printed in Germany, France and Italy by famous printers of those countries, none bearing a date inter than 1500. These are exhibited in connection with the Business School.

The collection of books illustrating the early history of the colleges, or associated with early College officers and benefactors, has been withdrawn for the present, but will be placed in the cases at a later date.

The College Library has lately received from Professor George Herbert Palmer early editions of the principal philosophers, which Mr. Palmer has collected during the long term of his office as professor, and which he now makes over to the College Library as a special collection. These books, about 100 in number, along with others of similar character already in the Library, have been brought together in one of the cases in the Treasure Room, and it is the hope of the Philosophical Department that other rare and early volumes of the chief philosophers will be added to the collection from time to time.

On Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock Professor Palmer will speak informally in the Treasure Room in regard to this collection.