WM. EMERSON '95 NEW HEAD OF "TECH" ARCHITECTURAL DEPT.

Prominent New York Architect Takes up New Duties at M.I.T.

William Emerson '95 has been chosen to take charge of the Architectural Department of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Mr. Emerson, who is widely known in New York as an architect, after his graduation spent the following two years in the Architectural School of Columbia, studying under Professor Ware. In November, 1897, he went to Paris, where he studied three years. After working in the offices of Tubbey, York and Sawyer for two years, he branched out for himself.

Mr. Emerson has been especially interested in the educational work of the Beaux Arts architects. Professionally his chief interest has been in housing problems. Residential and school work have taken up a large part of his time and some of his more important work includes banks built in New York City and the New York public baths.

Mr. Emerson has been keenly interested in the American Institute of Architects and was President of the New York Chapter. He is a member of the Educational Committee of the American Institute of Architects, and was vice-president of the Society of Beaux-Arts Architects when he was in France in 1917.

While in France Mr. Emerson was director of the Bureau of Construction for the American Red Cross. In that capacity he supervised the building of everything which the American Red Cross, our army and French civilians needed in France and Belgium. After having served in this capacity for twenty months, Mr. Emerson returned to America in March.