CREW ASPIRANTS CALLED

ALL TO BE RETAINED

This afternoon at 4 o'clock the candidates for the University crew will meet in Newell boathouse to start what promises to be one of the most successful rowing season that the University has known in a number of years. On Wednesday 11, 1923 oarsmen will report for work and the season will be under way.

Coach William Haines, Dr. Paul Withington '09, advisory coach, and Captain W. Davis '21 will speak to this afternoon's meeting and online the plans for the work during the spring. An effort is now being made to create a uniform and individual stroke for the University's crews and the steps that have been taken in this direction will be explained by the speakers.

The basis on which the spring practice will be planned is that every man shall be retained until the end of the season and given an opportunity to row on the highest crew possible for him. Every man that reports will have a chance to take part in one of the races that will be arranged for the spring regatta and the old style of cuts in the squad will be abolished.

The work in the early part of the season will of course be restricted to the machines and to the tank in Newell boathouse, but as soon as there is open water on the Charles every candidate will be given a position in one of the shells. As in other years, class and club crews will be organized to handle the surplus of men in the University squad, and these crews will be given personal instruction either by Coach Haines or by one of the assistant coaches.