THE ELECTIVE PAMPHLET

Last night we sat for some hours with the grass-green pamphlet, and the List of Studies for 1919-20 before us. The grass-green pamphlet is a delightful field for wandering with so many, many gateways. First we entered at the front door quite properly and climbed laboriously through department after department all the way from Hebrew E1. to Med. Sci. 3 whatever that may be. It profited us nothing. Nothing seemed in the least more interesting than anything else, except possibly French 15 hf, which bore the meaty legend "Tu. at 9." Getting up at 9 once a week wouldn't be too bad.

Reversing our process we started with the back grass-green cover and ran a meditative forefinger down the "List of Departments," poking back into the interior for hints upon the subject matter of Anthropology and Paleontology and Classical Philology. Alas these romantic, adventurous names yielded us nothing. We were at a loss.

Then, then we looked inside the back cover and there, wonderful to behold was the brief statement "HOURS and EXAMINATION Groups of the Several Courses" (the capitals are our own). Here is the key to the mystery. The problem is solved. Absurdly, simple after all. Place the forefinger under the hour eleven on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and collect one course. Do the same on the opposite page. Now turn back to the center of the book lest a thesis has crept up on you unawares.

If you must elect more than two courses it will be necessary to encroach either up on your breakfast hour with a ten o'clock, or your luncheon hour through a twelve or destroy your siesta with a 1.30. Such are the horrors of our modern civilization. Alas that the days are past when only three courses were given. Cocoanut Chasing 6bs, Day Dreaming 73; and Sleeping A.