COLLEGE AVIATION.

The Intercollegiate Flying Association has a significance far greater than that of the ordinary intercollegiate athletic organization. In promoting the air-race which is to take place in May, it purposes not only to furnish a sporting event, but to help advance aviation as an instrument of commerce and transportation. It is estimated that there are at present 175 army, navy and marine pilots in College. Of that number only seventy-five have shown sufficient interest to join the Aeronautical Society, and thus is the experience, hard earned during the war, lost to civilian advancement.

Through the influence of those who are members of the society, the Engineering School has been persuaded to consider in its future expansion the establishment of practical courses in aero-mechanics. In its attempt to establish the practicability and security of the aeroplane, the Association has furthermore secured the financial backing of the largest American manufacturers of flying machines. In its purpose the Association merits the support of all the colleges, and the activity of the University society should be given the fullest co-operation by the students.