How Much Will the Crimson Give?

Communication

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Your editorial of March 8 regarding the Boston Symphony Orchestra contains many glaring, if not deliberate errors, apparently made in an effort to champion the striking members. No one will deny that the members of our orchestra merit more pay, but that the CRIMSON should advocate the method which they have chosen to get it shows sympathy with a method which, whatever its name, openly defies the principles of the Constitution.

Your first error, that "the members have no time they can depend upon to earn money through lessons or outside work, is easily corrected by a glance at any directory of music teachers in Boston. Mr. Longy has his own school, Mr. Lauvent is acknowledged the best flutist, and Mr. Holy the best harpist--all of whom derive no small income from teaching. I am sure that Mr. Fradkin himself would admit that teaching is included in his daily regime. Also the Methodist-Episcopal Church on Massachusetts avenue, just beyond Walter Hastings Hall, gives a series of Sunday evening musicales, in which members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra participate and receive compensation ranging from thirty-five to fifty dollars.

The CRIMSON states "A few years ago the Boston Symphony Orchestra was generally conceded to be the best in the country. Now, no one would make such a claim for it." Let me quote Mr. Philip Hale (Boston Herald; October 11, 1919) "Nor was the hearty applause merely by way of compliment, it was spontaneous, a willing tribute to the indisputable talent of the leader and to the equally indisputable proficiency of the superb, unrivalled orchestra.." Also Mr. Richard Aldrich (New York Times, February 6, 1920) "Mr. Monteux's admirable musicianship and technical mastery were shown in his reading and performance of the difficult and abstruse symphony. The orchestra acquitted itself with distinction."

The CRIMSON's solution of an Endowment Fund is undoubtedly the best one. How much will the CRIMSON contribute? ALLEN H. GLEASON '20.