MID-WINTER CARNIVAL BEGINS

45-YARD HURDLES OPENING EVENT ON BOARD TRACK THIS AFTERNOON.

The first of the track events of the winter carnival will be run off this afternoon at 4 o'clock on the board track. With the interclass races the winter season will come to a close, and all track men rest for a short time before the spring practice begins.

In the 45-yard high and low hurdles C. G. Krogness, Jr., '21, and B. H. Tracy '22 have placed well in the meets this winter, while W. C. Bennett '23 and C. H. Hawes '23 of the yearling team are promising entrants. When the trial heats for the 40-yard dash are run off this afternoon, Captain D. F. O'Connell '21, E. O. Gourdin '21, and C. S. Evans Unc., of the University team will vie with each other for first place, while V. Cnapin '23, R. D. Howard '23, and J. E. Kennedy '23 may be expected to force the upperclassmen to the limit.

Punctuality Required of Contestants.

Out of the large field of entrants in the 300-yard dash and the one-mile run, D. F. O'Connell, E. O. Gourdin, C. S. Evans, and B. Wharton '22 loom up as the strongest contenders for places in the dash event, while E. T. Doherty '21, A. J. Fox Unc., and J. G. Winchester '23 have proved to be fast men in the mile. Other men who may place in the 300-yard dash are J. E. Kennedy, C. H. Hawes, and R. D. Howard of the 1923 relay team.

All competitors in today's events must be on the track promptly, when the events are announced. Today's events will be run off in the following order: 45-yard high hurdles, 45-yard low hurdles, 40-yard dash (trial heats), 300-yard dash (trial heats), one-mile run, and trials for the class team race