"HOOVER UNTARRED WITH THE WASHINGTON BRUSH"-HOLMES

"IS FREE POLITICALLY"

Disregarding considerations of party, Professor Henry W> Holmes '03, chairman of the Department of Education, endorses the campaign in favor of Herbert Hoover's candidacy for the Presidential election because Hoover is "a man who is free from political entanglement, is independent of political support, and owes no political debts."

As to his qualifications Professor Holmes said, "Hoover has had an unusual opportunity to study the needs of whole peoples, of nations, of groups of nations, and of races. He has met with economics problems of great magnitude. He has been accustomed to deal with the supplies of food for millions of people. And, as a large part of the government of a people is the satisfying of its needs for food, clothing and shelter, his experience is of the greatest importance.

"Furthermore, he has not been tarred with the Washington brush; he has not been entangled in red tape. Unlike the typical administrative officer Secretary Lane described in his communication to the President of March 1, Hoover has not been 'pressed to the point of paralysis because of an infinitude of details and unwillingness on the part of the great body of public servants to take responsibility.' He has not been belittled by Washington, that 'combination of political caucus, drawing room, and civil service bureau.'

Is a Constructive Worker.

"On the other hand, Hoover is a constructive worker. He has his eye on the job, and he doesn't deal in platitudes. He takes concrete measures for betterment. He is no mere theorist, no mere social worker who might be led astray by fine ideals, for he is a man who is accustomed to dealing with the great men of the world.

"Finally, he doesn't create enemies. He gets things done without creating opposition or antagonizing people. In short he hasn't Mr. Wilson's stiff-necked belief that he alone can accomplish things."