UNUSUAL NUMBER OF RHODES SCHOLARSHIPS NOW OFFERED

Prof. Frank Aydelotte Describes Life of Students Attending Oxford University.

In a recent interview for the CRIMSON concerning the Rhodes Scholarships, Professor Frank Aydelotte, A.M. '03, of M. I. T., the American Secretary for the Scholarships, stressed the unusual opportunities this year for students wishing to attend Oxford. Because of the suspension of elections during the war, double the ordinary number of Scholars will be elected in 1920, provided that they come up to the standards set of "(1) qualities of manhood, force of character, and leadership; (2) literary and scholastic ability and attainments; and (3) physical vigor, expressed in interest in outdoor deports and in other ways."

When asked to describe some of the differences between the life at an English University and one in this country, Professor Aydelotte said:

"At Oxford the student does very little of his studying in the six months of terms time, gaining his knowledge almost exclusively from lectures, and going over his work personally with individual tutors. During the vacations--four months in the summer, four weeks each at Christmas and Easter--the student is expected to do the major part of his work, especially if he is taking advanced courses. There are no annual or monthly exterminations, but a final examination at the end of the whole course, in which he is responsible for all the ground he has covered during his stay at the University. To Americans, the Rhodes Scholar seems remarkably free; he is not required to attend any lectures whatever, provided that he lives at the University and keeps up some connection with Oxford."

Spanking about sports, Professor Aydelotte stated that rowing is the most important, and arouses tremendous enthusiasm among the undergraduates. "Rugby, a football game similar to our soccer, is little less popular. Among those who do not join in organized sports, bicycling is the favorite form of exercise the countryside rung about being ideal for it."