PLAN NEARING-WIENER DEBATE ON SOCIALISM

PROF. McILWAIN TO PRESIDE

"Capitalism as an Economic System is Superior to Socialism" is the subject of a debate arranged between Scott Nearing, Ph.D., the socialist lecturer, who will defend the negative, and Professor Leo Wiener of the Slavic Department. The debate will be staged at the Union tomorrow evening, beginning at 7.30 o'clock. The presiding officer will be Professor C. H. Mcllwain, A.M. '03, Ph.D. '11.

The meeting will be under the auspices of the Harvard Contemporary Club and the Student Liberal Club, and will be open to all members of the University regardless of whether they belong to the Union.

Dr. Nearing was instructor and later professor of economics in the University of Pennsylvania. His public utterances, and his open support of ultra-radical movements led to a request for his withdrawal. In 1915 he was appointed to the position of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in Toledo University, which position he held until 1917, when he was again requested to resign. During the war he was on trial in the United States Court, for treasonable utterances contained in his pamphlet, "The Great Madness," but was acquitted. He is an accomplished orator and debater, and is at present lecturing in the Rand School of New York City and the Boston School of Social Science. He is the author of "Social Sanity" and other notable books on socialism.

Professor Wiener on the other hand is a native born Russian who, because of the suffering in his country has taken an intense dislike to socialism and its results. He is a firm anti-Bolshevist and the author of "An Interpretation of the Russian People."