BALL TEAM GOES TO MIDDLESEX

EMMONS AND CONLON IN INFIELD AND 3 VETERAN OUTFIELDERS MAKE OUTLOOK BRIGHT.

The infield and battery candidates for the University baseball team will practice in the Middlesex baseball cage beginning tomorrow, and continuing until weather conditions permit outdoor work. The Middlesex cage is one of the largest in the East, providing space for a full infield to practice. This fact will enable Coach Slattery to size up the respective playing ability of the fielders and decide what men will, temporarily at least, occupy the various positions. As far as it is possible to determine the prospects of the team from the limited practice held so far in the cage, it appears that only the failure of the pitchers to develop will prevent the nine from having a successful season.

58 Men Now on Squad

One cut has already been made and 58 men have been retained including: 19 pitchers, 6 catchers, 9 first basemen, 6 second basemen, 3 shortstops, 4 third basemen, and 11 outfielders. Among the pitchers W. B. Felton, Occ., C. L. Harrison Occ, E. S. Hardell '21, and F. K. Bullard '20, all former lettermen and E. F. Goode '22 of last year's Freshman team have been showing the best from. T. H. Gammack '20, from last year's nine, J. D. Murphy '22, and R. A. Lancaster '22 are the most promising catchers. In the infield, Captain R. W. Emmons, 3d, '20 and A. J. Conlon '22 of the 1922 team are sure of their positions at second base and shortstop respectively. First and third base are at present undecided, and it is for this reason especially that Coach Slattery is anxious to begin practice at Middlesex.

Three Outfield Veterans.

K. W. Perkins '20 has been shifted from third base to center field in which position he will play this year. The other two outfield positions will be occupied very probably by W. B. Frothingham '21 and R. P. Hallowell '20 both of whom played on last year's team. The competition in the outfield, however, is very keen and it is quite possible that some other man may occupy any of these position before the season is well under way.

According to Coach Young's statement the present prospects are promising for a good Freshman team. Among the 51 men who have been reporting there is good pitching and outfield material and the nucleus of a fair infield. At present it appears that the lack of capable infielders will be the chief handicap of the team. In order to get the best possible line on his men, Coach Young has determined to defer the first cut until the team has had an opportunity to practice out of doors.