INTER-CLASS BASEBALL

With the adoption of inter-class baseball at Yale the question arises whether it is advisable to revive such games at the University. Before the war it was customary for the classes to compete regularly in football, baseball and crew for the championship title. Since the cessation of hostilities, however, crew alone has taken up this part of its schedule where it left off; and now it seems that the time for starting up class rivalry on the diamond has arrived.

The adoption of the inter-class series of races in crew last spring with the opportunity for the championship eight to meet a rival aggregation from New Haven added greatly to the interest in the sport among the men on the lower crews. The spirit inculcated at that time carried Fall rowing through to success and is now once more proving its value in bringing oarsmen out in larger numbers than ever before.

Baseball, this season, is to be carried on under ideal conditions with separate coaching for the members of the second team. But even with this arrangement there will be many players of promising calibre who will be relegated to the substitutes' bench during second team contests unless provision is made for their active use elsewhere. In the past the Leiber Cup series for informal teams has given a small amount of exercise and a doubtful growth in baseball technique to a large number of enthusiasts. But this year the Leiber Cup series is to be abandoned and a substitute for it is highly desirable.

No man can learn the game of baseball, and at the same time keep up his interest in the sport by sunning himself on the bench as well as he could by actually playing on his class nine,--provided of course, that a certain amount of coaching is afforded the latter team. Thus the plan of holding an inter-class series is in itself worth while. Add to its natural virtues, however, the chance for a game with Yale's championship class team, and the idea needs no further recommendation.