DISTINGUISHED ARCTIC EXPLORER HERE TODAY

MANY LANTERN SLIDES

The thirteenth of the Union's winter series of lectures will be gives tonight by Donald B. MacMillan, the famous Arctic explorer, who will speak in the Living Room of the Union at 8 o'clock, on "Fighting the Frozen North." This lecture will be illustrated by 140 stereoptican views, to accompany the story of Mr. MacMillan's travels in the far North. Preceding his speech the explorer will be given a dinner by the Signet Society, at 6.15 o'clock.

Through his 12 years' experience as an explorer, first as an assistant to Peary on his successful dash to the North Pole in 1908, and later on expeditions of his own along the Coast of Labrador, Mr. MacMillan has gathered a large amount of material, from which he will draw for his talk.

He was born in Provincetown in 1874 and was graduated from Bowdoin College in 1898. For 10 years thereafter, he taught in various New England Preparatory Schools. He was at first principal of Levi Hall High School, at North Gorham, Me., and later became an instructor at Worcester Academy and at Swarthmore Preparatory School.

Went to North Pole in 1908.

In 1908 he left the teaching profession and became assistant to Peary on his trip to the North Pole in 1908-1909. Throughout the three years following that famous expedition, Mr. MacMillan conducted cruising trips of his own along the Coast of Labrador, with the special purpose of studying the Eskimos in that vicinity. From 1913 to 1917, he was commander of the Crocker Land Expedition. His next exploit will be the Bowdoin-Baffin Land Expedition, which will be sent out in 1920-1921.

During his Arctic wanderings, Mr. MacMillan his covered more than 10,000 miles by dog teams in company with Polar Eskimos. The explorer has also made an extensive study of the Smith Sound Tribe and particularly of the bird and animal life of the far North.

The lecture tonight is open only to members of the Union who will be admitted upon showing their membership cards.

Mr. MacMillan was first scheduled to talk at the Union on January 7, but was called up to Maine on account of sickness in his family.