OPEN 20 FELLOWSHIPS IN SCANDINAVIAN COUNTRIES

Candidates Must be of American Birth--Term of Study Set as one Academic Year.

The American-Scandinavian Foundation of New York City has at its disposal twenty fellowships for students of American birth who wish to study abroad. These scholarships have a value of $1000 each, with the exception of a few of the amount of $1,200.

Candidates must have been born in the United States or its possessions or in Canada. Application papers, including letters of recommendation and a photograph, must be filed by prospective candidates at the office of the Foundation before April 1. Successful candidates will be notified about May 1. The selection of Fellows will be made by a jury of university professors and technical experts appointed by the Foundation.

As the stipend of $1,000, under present conditions, may not suffice for the student's expenses, it is recommended that candidates have additional funds of their own. Arrangements for a reduction of steamship rates on commercial vessels can be obtained in some cases.

The period of study, for which the scholarships provide, is one academic year. It is urged that the Fellows appointed sail from New York in the early part of the summer so that they may have at least two months before the opening of the universities, to travel about in the country to which they are appointed, familiarizing themselves with the language and life of the people.

List of Possible Studies.

The branches of studies in the respective countries are as follows:

Sweden.--Eight Fellowships for the study of the following: Chemistry, Physics, Forestry, Agricultural Science, Mining and Metallurgy, Hydro-Electricity, Administrative and Social Science. Two Fellowships of $1,200 each will be awarded for study in subjects related to the Humanities.

Denmark.--Five Fellowships for study of the following: Industrial Organization, Co-operative Agriculture, Agricultural Sciences, Bacteriology, Chemistry, Folk High Schools, Language and Literature, and other Humanistic Studies.

Norway.--Five Fellowships for study of the following: Weather Forecasting (at Bergen Geo-Physical Institution), Oceanography, Hydro-Electricity, Forestry, Agricultural Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, Language and Literature, and other Humanistic Studies.

Additional information and application blanks may be obtained from The American-Scandinavian Foundation, 25 West 45th street, New York City.