UNIVERSITY SWIMMERS LEAVE ON SOUTHERN TRIP TOMORROW

BOTH OPPONENTS STRONG

The University swimming team will leave for New York tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock on a trip to include meets with Rutgers and the Navy. The meet with Rutgers will take place at New Brunswick, N. J., at 8 o'clock tomorrow night. The University swimmers will continue to Annapolis the next day, where they will meet the Navy on Saturday afternoon, returning to Cambridge Saturday night.

Rutgers has a strong team this year, having started off the season with a 44-9 victory over C. C. N. Y. In this meet they broke two Rutgers records, in the 220-yard swim, and in the relay. Other victories by the New Brunswick swimmers have been over Lehigh University, whom they defeated 46-22; Syracuse, against whom they scored 49 points to their opponents' 18; and Springfield Y. M. C. A., 34 to 19. The last-named college was defeated by the University team in its first meet of the season by a 31-22 score. Captain Luckens, a former U. S. Navy champion, is one of Rutgers' most able point-winners. Luckens has done the 50-yard dash in 25 2-5 seconds, and also stars in the 100-yard dash. In Geibel, a former New York A. C. swimmer, the New Jersey tank men have an exceptionally brilliant performer, who has done consistent work in the 50 and 100-yard dashes, the 220-yard swim, and the plunge. Redmond and Ross, too, are strong in the dashes; while Post and Sherwin have shown great ability in the fancy dive.

Navy Has Fast Team.

The Navy has also had a successful season thus far, and has established an enviable reputation for itself in aquatic events. In a meet with Princeton, which resulted in a 52-10 score in favor of the midshipmen, the Navy clipped one-fifth of a second from the intercollegiate record of 1 minute, 20 seconds for the 160-yard relay, made by the University of Chicago swimmers in 1916. The Navy has also defeated Johns Hopkins, and Pittsburgh University. Dickens has shown himself to be one of the most reliable scorers for the Navy, and swims with Winkjer, Gallagher, and Emory on the relay team.

At Annapolis the University mermen will be required to swim under unusual conditions, since the pool there is but 60 feet long. Accordingly the usual 50-yard dash will be replaced by a 40-yard race, and plungers able to float over 60 feet will be judged according to their time in covering this distance.