URGES WOOD FOR PRESIDENCY

HON. W. F. LUFKIN EULOGIZES GENERAL AS ONLY FIT CANDIDATE.

Pointing out Major General Leonard Wood, M.D. '84, as the only candidate qualified by training and experience to be at the head of our government, the Hon. W. F. Lufkin, President of the Massachusetts Wood League, and chairman of the House Naval Committee in Washington, said in an interview for the CRIMSON:

"The next four years are almost certain to be the most troublesome in the history of the United States. The next President should be a man familiar not only with our domestic problems, but also with our foreign problems. I believe that General Wood comes nearer meeting this acid test than any other candidate. He is not merely a great soldier, he is a great American. His record shows that during his entire career he has never undertaken any task and not completed it successfully."

Refused German Decoration.

Asked as to General Wood's qualifications to handle foreign affairs, Mr. Lufkin replied: "He will be able to handle foreign affairs for two reasons: first, because he is a man of back-bone,--a red-blooded, two-fisted fighter determined to place America first; second, he has had experience as a representative of this government both unofficially and officially in various trips abroad.

"An illuminating incident of one of his trips abroad is that of his visit, to Germany in 1909. As early as that he prophesied that Germany would be our enemy in the near future from that time his efforts for preparedness began. It is interesting to note that during that visit to Germany, when he was offered the Order of the German Eagle, he refused it.

"Few people in this country realize the enormous European reputation of General Wood. His work in Cuba, in the Moro provinces, in the Philippines, have caused him to be regarded abroad as one of the foremost administrators of the world. As an example of this European reputation, Lord Cromer, the famous administrator of Egypt, once remarked that he wished Leonard Wood might be appointed Governor of Egypt."