A HARVARD PLAYHOUSE.

The brilliant conclusion of another 47 Workshop season again raises the question of how long that vital Harvard instituting will have to wait before being in a home of its own. How soon are we to have a Harvard Playhouse which will measure up to the one Yale has provided for her dramatic organizations? The Workshop should be master in a house of its own, rather than be obliged to oscillate between cramped quarters in Lower Massachusetts and an inadequate auditorium at Agassiz House for its final performances.

The Harvard Playhouse would be primarily a theatre home--a combination players' club, laboratory, and theatre for the Workshop company; such a one as Granville Barker vividly pictured in his recent lecture here. There is no reason why such a Playhouse could not be used also in giving an impetus to general student interest in dramatics, through furnishing the Dramatic Club with permanent interest in dramatic, through furnishing the Dramatic Club with permanent rooms and a theatre commensurate with its performances. With the Playhouse, Harvard would be in a position to invite distinguished actors and their companies to give performances here, a method of university education which Oxford has adopted with its University Theatre.