HOOVER BEST-FITTED MAN TO COPE WITH FUTURE PROBLEMS

COMMENDS HOOVER LEAGUE

That Herbert Clark Hoover would be able successfully to cope with the problems of the nation in the future, as he has done in the past, is the belief of Arthur N. Holcombe, '06, Assistant Professor of Government as expressed in the following article written for the CRIMSON.

"I am very glad to learn that the Hoover League of Harvard is showing so convincingly the strength of the demand for Mr. Hoover's nomination for the presidency. Mr. Hoover's record at the head of the Food Administration and of relief work in Europe demonstrated his primacy among the many successful business men whom the war has brought into public life. His success in handling human as well as technical problems has inspired all classes of people with the same confidence which business men were quick to place in his abilities.

Authority Used With Moderation

Armed during the war with almost dictatorial authority, he used his great authority with moderation and yet effectively. Entrusted under the most difficult conditions with the duty of protecting the people against oppression by powerful private interests, he secured for the people adequate protection without injustice to any interest. He devised and put into successful operation new methods of administration. He enlisted with unprecedented results the voluntary co-operation of both farmers and consumers of food-stuffs.

"It is not yet clear what the paramount problems of the next four years will be. The major political parties are slow to join issue on any of those which seem likely to be highly controversial. All candidates alike profess to stand for peace, retrenchment, and reform. We know that Mr. Hoover is a fair-minded and a progressive minded man. We belive that the problems of the future are most likely to be solved with success by the man who has successfully solved those of the past. I hope that the efforts of the Hoover League of Harvard will help to bring about his nomination."