APPEAL FOR SUPPORT AT TRACK GATHERING

FRESHMEN THE FOUNDATION

At the mass meeting in the Union last night, which officially marked the beginning of he spring track season, an audience of men who have reported for the sport listened to speeches by alumni, Dr. Whelan, and Captain D. F. O'Connell '21. W. M. Rand '09, a member of the graduate advisory committee, introduced the speakers, assuring the men out for track that every member of the Advisory Committee as well s all former track men are behind Dr. Whelan in his plan to put track back on its proper basis here.

W. R. Garcelon '95, former graduate treasurer of the H. A. A., emphasized the importance of the situation, saying: "We are going to start with this year's Freshman class, building up a winning team by having at least 150 men out each year. The members of the Advisory Committee will beat the field once a week to coach men, and we are all going to work with you to make this season a success."

"Harvard Form and Finish."

Coach R. T. fisher '12 then pointed out the opportunity for football men to cooperate with track men by developing sped on the cinders which will defeat Yale this spring on the track and next fall on the football field. Dr. Whelan followed Fisher with an appeal to develop a real "Harvard form and finish" in track.

Captain O'Connell, last year's intercollegiate mile champion, was the last speaker. After discussing the hard schedule ahead of the team. O'Connell finished with these words: "Every man be out on the field every day! We have the 'pep', the system, the coaching, and the fight; with proper undergraduate support, Yale can't beat us!"