PRESIDENTIAL POSSIBILITIES

MAJOR-GEN. LEONARD WOOD

In support of Major-General Leonard Wood, M.D. '84, s Republican candidate for President, the Wood Club of Harvard has issued the following statements:

A Poll of Republican Candidates.

The Leonard Wood National Campaign Committee has taken a poll of college professors throughout the United States on their preference for a Republican Presidential candidate. General Leonard Wood, a Massachusetts man and a graduate of he Harvard Medical School, is the choice of those polled by almost three to one.

General Wood received a total of 310 votes to 107 for Gov. Lowden. Senator Johnson received 76, President Butler of Columbia University 14, and Senator Poindexter 3. Four hundred and twelve college professors approached for an opinion either declined to vote or their ballots were scattering or were for Democratic candidates. Harvard gave General Wood thirteen votes and no other candidate received any. Ohio the home state of Senator Harding voted 20 for Wood to 8 for Harding, but in Illinois, Gov. Lowden's home state, the latter received 21 votes to 16 for General Wood.

Senator Borah's Attack.

General Wood says Senator Borah's recent attack on his campaign methods "is for the purpose of influencing adversely the primary vote in Michigan to be taken Monday, April 5." Senator Borah is the chief supporter f Senator Johnson's Presidential aspirations and both he and Johnson are "squealing" loudly because the California senator is being badly worsted by Genera Wood. Borah recently made a savage attack upon the General Wood campaign on the floor of the United States Senate, securing the ammunition for his outburst, first from the New York World, a Democratic newspaper and second, from the Sun and New York Herald, and independent Republican newspaper. The world story gave what purported to be a list of contributors to the Wood campaign fund and told about their being representatives of big corporations. One of the names mentioned was that of E. C. Doheny, head of the Mexican Petroleum Corporation. Mr. Doheny has denied that he has made any contribution whatever and as he is a Democrat, one is not expected by the Wood mangers. Another supposed contributor whose name was used by The World was that of William B. Thompson, Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee of the Republican National Committee. Mr. Thompson says that he has not contributed to the Wood Campaign fund nor the fund of any other candidate for the Republication nomination and does not intend to . His business, he says is to raise money to finance the campaign of the nominee and not to assist in the nomination of anyone.

Attitude of Republican Delegates.

According to the Leonard Wood National Committee, 9 of the delegates so far chosen to attend the Republican National Convention at Chicago in June are pledged to Leonard Wood and at lest 76 of the other delegates so far elected are favorable to his nomination. This will give him a total of 155 votes now and the only other candidate who has any pledged delegates is Gov. Lowden, to whom 4 are pledged from Virginia. The total number of delegates chosen so far is 188. Today, the Kansas State Convention will be held for the purpose of choosing 20 delegates to the National Convention. Gov. Allen of Kansas, who is vice-chairman of the Wood National Campaign Committee, says that the entire 20 delegates will vote for Wood at the Chicago Convention. Tomorrow, a Convention will be held in Mississippi to choose delegates and Wood is known to be the first choice of 75 percent of the Republicans of that state so that it looks as if Wood will get al the delegates picked this week, a total of 32.