BACCHUS AND FORTUNA.

Although, everything over one-half of one per cent, has (ostensibly) passed into the limbo of the unknown, certain features have come to recompense the toiling undergraduate for this his greatest loss. Here and there a hip pocket bulges happily, now and again the Puritanic fragrance of the Yard is spiced with a more pleasing aroma. All in all, however, the era of John has passed. We enter upon the age of Fortuna. Things may not be moving forward, but they certainly are moving.

Instead of the clinking of glasses, there is the clicking of chips. The pleasant gurgle of heavenly liquids gives way to a soft chant of "come 'leven" and rumbling of ivory over wood. Pay nineteen! We wonder if this change has been all for the good. This new method of removing undergraduate inhibitions has certain disadvantages over the old. "A big head is better than an empty purse" is attributed to Epictetus. The road to freedom from the worries of exams and cuts is much smoother when it runs through fragrant vineyards than when it winds across the chequered fields of chance.

As an ideal we advocate a happy mean--say a quarter limit and twenty percent. Ideals were the possession of another less mysterious generation. Our free and Puritanical ancestors with their toddy--

However, looking the present bravely in the face--if certain dear, but over-enthusiastic ladies, and certain learned but we fear misguided gentlemen, insist that Bacchus bow gracefully in exit to Fortuna--so be it.