AN UNDERGRADUATE ENTERPRISE.

Today's announcement of the reorganization of the administration of the Union, is another step in the long series of accomplishments this year, towards making the Union the club for all undergraduates. From now on elected representatives of the members will have the power to make changes and improvements, and will be responsible for the success of their work to those who elected them. Thus the undergraduates obtain a direct voice in the running of the Union.

It is desirable that the vice-president who is the highest student officer of the club, should be elected by the whole college. For the Union is not a club in the ordinary sense, it is a University enterprise. The series of lectures held this year have given it an identity as an expression of Harvard, not as a separate organization. And the extensive series of dinners and entertainments, given by college organizations regardless of whether all their members belong to the Union or not, these entertainments which are to be continued on an even larger scale next year make the Union of real importance to every Harvard student.

But at the same time, the Union is a club in the stricter sense for many undergraduates. Its library, lounging rooms, restaurant, store, billiard and pool rooms have made it of primary importance to men who do not use other clubs. For this reason it is not desirable that the Union should be thrown open at any time to every student whether or not he shows enough interest to join. Its internal affairs must remain the concern of its members. This is why, under the new plan, the Undergraduate Committee in charge of administration is very properly elected by the members alone. In place of the old series of four appointed committees whose personnel was without responsibility's the members, the supervision of the club will be henceforth in the hands of five undergraduates who are responsible to the men who elected them. This new system with its specialization and concentration of function is sure to make the student administration much more efficient.

The spring elections of the Union should cause much interest. They offer the college the opportunity to choose men who will continue the great success of the present year. The Union has come to entertain nearly every guest of the University. It is imperative that the men who run the Union be representative of the undergraduates.