20 AMERICAN-SCANDINAVIAN FELLOWSHIPS FOR 1920-21

R. S. Hillyer '17, S. F. Damon '14 and P. P. Cram 2G Chosen

The American-Scandinavian Foundation, acting upon nominations made by colleges of this country, has awarded to American students 20 travelling fellowships for study in Denmark, Sweden., and Norway during the academic year 1920-21. More than 150 application papers were considered by the committee of college professors and technological experts who made the selection of 19 of the 20 Fellows, the twentieth of whom will be chosen by the chief of the United States Weather Bureau and sent to study oceanography and weather forecasting at the Bergen Geo-Physical Institute, Bergen, Norway. The candidates represented most of the larger American colleges and universities, and among the Fellows and alternates appointed are students from either coast, from Harvard and California. The Fellows will sail from New York in late spring or early summer, and will spend the summer in travelling about in the countries to which they are appointed, familiarizing themselves with the language, and will begin study at Scandinavian institutions in the fall.

Harvard has three representatives on the list of appointees, which has just been announced. They are: Robert Stillman Hillyer '17, of East Orange, N. J., to study Scandinavian literature at the University of Copenhagen; Samuel Foster Damon '14 of Newton, to study the history of Northern music, in Denmark; and Paul Perham Cram, 2G, to study Indic philology in Sweden.