BELGIAN RELIEF COMMISSION SUPPORTS TEN FELLOWSHIPS

STIPEND SET AT FR. 10,000

The Commission for Relief in Belgium has arranged for the establishment and support of ten fellowships for 1920-21 for Americans to undertake graduate study in Belgian universities, and of a similar number for advanced Belgian students in American universities; and the President and Fellows of the College, at the request of the Commission, have agreed to nominate two candidates for the fellowships in the Belgian universities.

The stipend of each fellowship for study in Belgium will be 10,000 francs, plus the necessary travelling expenses (ocean and railway) to and from Belgium, and whatever tuition fees are necessary. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, the University of California, and Stanford will each nominate two candidates, and two fellowships will be established in each of the following institutions: University of Brussels, University of Ghent, University of Liege, University of Louvain, and the School of Mines at Mons.

Only Degree Holders May Apply.

According to the announcement of the Commission for Relief in Belgium, these fellowships will be open "only to male graduate students, that is, to Americans holding a bachelor's degree." They should be able to write and speak French. Preference is to be given to those who are unable by their own means to support the cost of their studies in Belgium.

Although five American universities will each nominate two men and these ten men will be distributed among five Belgian institutions, the announcement states that it will not be necessary to make a direct exchange between any given Belgian institution and any given American university. The preferences of the American fellows as among the five Belgian institutions will be consulted, but there must be assigned two fellows to each of the five different institutions.

At the University the Committee on General Scholarships, of which Dean LeBaron R. Briggs is chairman, will make nominations for the fellowships. Applications should reach Dean Briggs's office, University 10, not later than Saturday, April 24, and should indicate when they apply at which Belgian institution they prefer to study.

Belgian Students Coming Here.

The Fellowship Committee which has charge of the fellowships for the Commission is composed of Prentiss N. Gray, John W. Hallowell '01, Vernon Kellogg, William B. Poland, Edgar Rickard, and John Beaver White.

The conditions are similar for the ten fellowships for Belgian students which the Commission is establishing at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, the University of California, and Stanford. The stipend of each of these fellowships, which will be open only to Belgians qualified for admission to graduate standing, will be $1000 plus travelling expenses and tuition fees. The President and Fellows have accepted the conditions under which two of these fellowships will be established here.

The double system of fellowships is being established by the Commission "as a memorial to the work of America in aid of Belgium during the world war and for the further maintenance of good relations between the peoples of the two countries.