SCHEDULE WEEKLY RACES FOR LOWER CREWS DURING SEASON

University and Union Boat Club Eights Meet in Tilt Tomorrow.

An innovation in spring rowing will be introduced this year in the form of weekly races for the lower crews, which will be held every Friday for the class and lower Freshman eights. Dr. Paul Withington '09, Coaches William Haines, Edward Brown, and Burt Haines will follow the races in launches.

The crews will be ranked according to the result of the races, and may challenge other shells in higher standing. This new plan is known as a Ladder Tournament, and is expected to add greatly to the interest in rowing. The system, is so arranged that if a sixth crew defeats a fifth crew, the winner becomes the fifth instead of the sixth, and the loser drops a rung on the ladder. This system creates a spirit of teamwork in the daily practice with a definite goal to reach.

A trial race between the University crews and the crew of the Union Boat Club is scheduled for Saturday afternoon, when they will race over the two-mile course in the Basin from Cottage Farm Bridge to the Union Boathouse. Intensive training begins for the crews on Monday when they will start eating at training table in the Varsity Club. The first and second University crews will have their table there, and the first Freshman will eat in Smith Halls.