FACULTY VOTES CHANGES IN REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRANCE

OLD PLAN UNITS REDUCED

The University Faculty has voted to change the entrance requirements to the College in such a way as to establish closer relations between the public schools and the College and to make it casier for public school boys to prepare for the College examinations.

Under the so-called "Old Plan" of admission, according to the provision of which the student must pass examinations amounting to a certain number of units of school work, the number of units required for admission has been redced for 16 1-2 pr 15 1-2 to 15. It has also been voted that the Committee on Admission be authorized to admit without conditions final candidates whose examination record is slightly defective but who combined school and examination record justifies the belief that they are ready for college work. However, a candidate will not be relieved of a condition without evidence that he has done good school work in the subject in which he has filed. No changed has been made in the present absolute minimum of fourteen points.

New Plan Modified

The so-called "New Plan" opf admission, which has been in effect for several years, and according to the provisions of which the student must present evidence of an approved school course satisfactorily completed and must show in four examinations in important subject that his scholarship is satisfactory, has been modified so that a candidate's school course need not necessarily have extended over four years. The candidate will now be admitted if his school course is decided to have been the equivalent of the four ye3ars study and the meets the other requirements. It has also been decided to make exceptions to the absolute requirements that the candidate's school course must have indluded languages, sciences, mathematics, and history. The new requirement makes it clear that the man who has omitted one of these studies will not necessarily be excluded for that reason if he is an exceptions student.

Diminsh Importance of Examinations.

This change has been made with a view to diminishing, not effective school training, but the importance of examination. The purpose is to make the requirements somewhat more fixable, so that boys whose training has not entirely conformed to the letter of the former rules may nevertheless be admitted if ti is clearly apparent that they are of sufficient intellectual calibe and school which are not accustomed to training boys for Harvard. The general purpose is, to a limited extent to shift the emphasis from quantity of examination passed to quality of work shown the examinations.

It was also decided that a candidate for Admission under the New Plan who offers Advanced Mathematics, shall be excused from examination in Elementary Mathematics, but shall be examined in two of the advanced mathematical subjects.

These changes will take effect at once, therefore, examinations take this spring for entrance to the college next fall will be affected.