SWIMMING SEASON REVIEWED

UNIVERSITY TEAM CAPTURED BUT THREE OUT OF ITS NINE MEETS.

In spite of the handicap of have to use the Boston Y. M. C. A. pool for practice, the 1920 swimming team was a better aggregation than any that has represented the University since 1916. The season just concluded can hardly be called a success in terms of meets won; get the effort to develop a team resulted in bringing out material which contrasted favorably with previous swimming teams here, and which gives considerable promise for 1920-21.

Of its nine meets, the University succeeded in winning but three, as against its record last year, when it was unable to register a single victory. Starting off the season by defeating in succession Springfield Y. M. C. A. and Williams with the respective scores of 31-32 and 36-17, the Crimson swimmers then succumbed to all save on of their remaining opponents. Amherst, with the aid of Damon, a former intercollegiate champion in the 100-yard dash, won by a score of 38-15, and Brown triumphed in a meet staged in her own tank, 36-17. With several men unable to swim in the M. I. T. meet, the University lost to the engineers, 29-24, the five-point margin going to the winners at the last moment in the most closely contested match of the season.

Lost on Southern Trip.

On its southern trip, the team was defeated by both Rutgers and the Navy. The New Jersey mermen scored 39 points, as against the University's 14, the Crimson's opponents securing eight of their points in the relay. This event proved to be the most spectacular race ever witnessed in the Rutegrs pool, the home team snatching their victory by one tenth of a second, in the face of a splendid spurt by A. H. Brackett '22, the Crimson anchor man. At Annapolis, the Navy swimmers registered an easy victory over the University, breaking the intercollegiate record in the 160-yard relay by covering the distance in 1 min., 19 sec. Notwithstanding the fact that L. B. Davis '20 took first place in the plunge, the final score was 36-8 in favor on the midshipmen.

For the second time since swimming was instituted at Harvard and for the first time since 1914 when the Blue won 48-5, a University meet was scheduled with Yale. The Elis with a team of world and intercollegiate record holders had no difficulty in winning again by the score of 48-5. In the New England Intercollegiates, the University secured three second places, and stood third in the final result with 9 points, Yale being credited with 9 1-2, and M. I. T., the winner, with 16 1-2. In the Intercollegiate Individual Championships, held at New Haven on March 17, three men were entered; A. Levy '21 reached the finals in the fancy dive, and placed fifth out of a field of 19 starters. The season closed on March 28 with a 32-20 victory over Boston University.

Prospects Good for Next Year.

Although G. Tilton '20, this year's captain will not be back in College next fall, prospects for a successful season are brighter than heretofore. Brackett, who was recently elected to head the team for the coming season, and who has been a consistent star in the 50 and 100-yard dashes, is expected to perform even better, while G. S. Worcester '22 will be his closest rival. E. C. Mott-Smith '22, who, together with Tilton, Brackett, and Worcester, constituted the relay team, will return, as will W. W. Douglass '22 and A. M. Stoddard '21, the two best men in the 220-yard swim this year. In Levy, the University will have a certain point-winner in the dive, and L. B. Davis '20 who captured three places out of the five meets in which he was entered in the plunge, will also be back, and should develop well. N. R. Knox '21, a steady performer in the dive, will return, and in addition, P. Johnson '21, a fast man in the dashes, and P. K. Thomas '22, another plunger, both of whom were ineligible this year, should greatly strengthen the team. From the 1923 team, Captain R. F. Thayer, W. J. Wyman, A. D. Knox, J. W. Friedlander, and J. Wilder, are the most promising candidates.

In compiling statistics on the individual point winners this season, it will be noticed that Brackett is easily the best man on the team, having scored more than twice as many points as has nearest competitor. The figures follow: Brackett, 66; Worcester, 32; Levy, 29; Davis; 17; Douglass, 11; Tilton, 9; Stoddard, 7; and Mott-Smith, 6. The total number of points made by the University team was 182; by its opponents, 285.