SIEGFRIED SASSOON, POET, TO ADDRESS UNION MEMBERS

THREE TIMES WOUNDED

Tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock in the Living Room of the Union, Siegfried Loraine Sassoon, the young British soldier-poet, will lecture on contemporary English writers, and will give a commentative reading of selections from his own poems. The meeting will be held under the auspices of the Harvard and New England Poetry Clubs, through whose kindness all members of the Union are invited to attend. The speaker will be introduced by Robert S. Hillyer '17, president of the Harvard Poetry Club.

Mr. Sassoon was born in 1886, and received his education at Marlborough College and Clare College, Cambridge. After leaving the university, he wrote a number of poems, reminiscent of nature and peaceful pursuits, and published them privately, so that before the war he was known only to a small circle.

Won Military Cross.

When the war broke out in 1914, Mr. Sassoon enlisted immediately in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers as a private, and in the following five years rose to the rank of captain. He was wounded three times and decorated with the Military Cross. His experiences entirely changed his point of view, and he began to interest himself in the political aspects of the struggle, and a letter of his on this subject was the cause of a debate in the House of Commons in July, 1917.

With the publication of his "Old Huntsman," Sassoon sprang into instant prominence, and his "Counter Attack" has led critics to place him in a class with Masefield and Noyes.

The young poet is now on a lecture tour in America, telling American audiences of the upheaval that has taken place in the last few years in the work of English writers.