1923 SPEAKERS MEET IN TRIANGULAR DEBATE AT 8

Legislative Prohibition of Strikes in Essential Industries Subject of Contest Tonight.

Debaters of the Freshman negative team will meet the Yale 1923 debating trio at Sanders Theatre this evening at 8 o'clock in one of the three contests of the annual Freshman triangular debate held simultaneously between Yale, Princeton and the University. The Freshman affirmative team will make the trip to Princeton, where they will debate the Princeton negative team. At New Haven the Yale freshman negative and the Princeton affirmative team will clash for honors. The college winning both of its debates will be awarded the 1923 triangular championship.

The subject of the debate tonight is: "Resolved, That Congress should pass, all necessary legislation to prohibit strikes in essential industries--constitutionality granted--essential industries being defined as public utilities, public service corporations and coal mines."

Professor W. Z. Ripley of the department of economics will be the presiding officer. Contrary to previous announcement, Professor F. W. Taussig '79 will be unable to officiate. Mr. Homer Albero, dean of the Boston University Law School; Mr. James E. Downey, headmaster of the Boston High School of Commerce, and Mr. George Howland Cox, vice-president of the Cambridge Trust Company, have agreed to act as judges for the contest here. Tickets for the de- bate are now on sale at Leavitt & Peirce's or can be obtained at the door for 35 cents each.

Irving Rosenbloom, of Chicago, III., will start the negative against Yale. The other two Harvard speakers here are John Milton Wyman, of Mayfield, Ky., and Henry Jacob Friendly, of Elmira, N. Y. George Bernard Lourie, of Chelsea, and George Stevens, of Atlanta, Ga., will act as alternates. The Yale men upholding the affirmative here will be Max Lerner, of New Haven, Conn.; John Walter Blair of Spokane, Wash.; Edmund B. Shotwell, of New York City, and John B. Leach, alternate, of Oil City, Pa.

The affirmative team going to Princeton is composed of three speakers and an alternate: William Leon Smyser, of Washington, D. C.; John Curry Hover, of Bellefontaine, O.; Paul Richard Harmel, of Cleveland, O.; and Sterling Lockie Tait, of Gouverneur, N. Y., alternate