DEBATING TRIALS HELD TODAY

NINE MEN TO BE CHOSEN TO TRAIN FOR EAST AND WEST DEBATE

Preliminary trials for the selection of men to meet the University of Washington team in the East and West debate next month will be staged in Harvard 5 this afternoon at 4 o'clock. All members of the College are eligible to compete. Entrants who report at this afternoon's trials should have prepared a speech, five minutes in length on either side of the triangular debate subject: "Resolved, That Congress should pass all laws necessary to suppress all propaganda for the overthrow of the United States Government by force and violence-constitutionality granted."

Professor 'H. B. Huntington '97 of Brown University together with two members of the University faculty will select the nine most promising debaters from those who try out. Later in the training period Coach Huntington will choose from that number the three best to engage in the contest with the western university. Three others will have an opportunity to meet some other college in a debate on the same subject at a date yet to be announced.

Nine men from the Freshman class have been chosen following the preliminaries for the 1923 Triangular debate with Yale and Princeton. The names of the men selected follow: E. J. Babin, H. J. Friendly, P. R. Harmel, G. B. Lowrie, J. Rosenbloom, W. L. Smyser, G. Stevens, S. L. Tait, and W. F. Wyman.

Candidates for the positions of manager and assistant manager of the Freshman team win be called out tomorrow evening when they will report to B. Ulin '20, 28 Plympton Street, at 7 o'clock. This competition will be unusually short, lasting only two weeks, and will consist of selling tickets and doing miscellaneous work. The man chosen manager will make the trip with the team to Princeton and the assistant will be in charge of the debate with Yale at Sanders Theatre.