NINE DEBATERS RETAINED

Only Three Men Will Represent Harvard in East and West Debate.

Nine men were retained on the University debating team which will meet the University of Washington debaters in the East and West debate in Cambridge next month as a result of the trials held yesterday afternoon in Harvard 5. All members of the College were eligible to compete, and nearly twenty-five aspirants reported with five-minute speeches prepared. Professor H. B. Huntington '97, of Brown University, acted as judge of the speeches with Professor H. N. Davis, Ph.D. '03, and Mr. Sydney Clifford.

The following men were chosen: L. Dennis Occ., M. J. Donner '21, W. S. Holbrook, Jr., '21, B. H. Kuhns '22, H. Starr '22, L. E. Thomas '20, J. J. Tutun '20, R. B. Varnum '21, C. H. Weldon, Jr., '21. The question which was argued was: "Resolved, That Congress should pass all laws necessary to suppress all propaganda for the overthrow of the United States Government by force and violence--constitutionality granted."

Of the nine men chosen, three men will be selected to meet the western team, while three others will have an opportunity to meet some other college in a debate on the same subject at a date yet to be announced. These nine men will meet tomorrow evening at 7 o'clock for further trials at a place to be announced tomorrow morning.