UNIVERSITY LEADS IN DRIVE FOR MARNE MEMORIAL FUND

YALE THIRD WITH $134

The University is the leader among twenty colleges and universities which have thus far reported their contributions to "America's Gift to France," according to an announcement issued at the headquarters of the national committee in New York. These institutions have given a total of more than $1500.

In the case of the University the sum of $628.28 was obtained from over 800 contributors for the monument that will be erected on the banks of the Marne. Next among the major universities was the University of Pennsylvania which gave $234.07 from 3104 students. Yale contributed $134 and Cornell $119.65. Princeton's offering was $52.54 from among 500 students. Princeton's moderate sum is explained by the fact that the annual club elections were held during the same period as the collection, and because the students had just given to their endowment fund following a campaign on the campus.

Hobart is the only college that reported a 100 per cent offering. The students there contributed $31.35. At Rhode Island State College 223 students gave $45.07. The College of the City of New York subscribed $74.30. Bowdoin participated to the number of 282 students for an aggregate of $79.28.

From the standpoint of numbers of contributors the collection thus far is a distinct success. The national committee has been emphasizing that the number of givers rather than the amount of contributions is most important in carrying out the significance of the project