OLMSTED, BURDEN, AND WILLIAMS ON CREW 'A'

FIRST REGATTA TODAY

Three men were moved up from the second to the first University eight yesterday afternoon, the new seating being practically the same as when the crews were practicing in the tank before the river opened up. J. A. Burden, Jr., '21, was changed from number 5 on the second crew to 3 on the first, while L. Terry '22 went from 3 to 7 on the first. The position of stroke, which has been held by R. Jenney '21 during the past two weeks, is now occupied by M. E. Olmsted '21, who was moved up from the same seat on the second crew. F. S. Williams '22, who was coxswain of last year's Freshman crew, now holds the rudder ropes of University A, while E. L. Peirson, Jr., '21 has charge of the second boat. S. Damon '21, who was rowing 7 on the second crew, has been moved to five in the same shell, and T. T. Pond '21 has his old position at 7, coming from number 7 on crew A. Jenney has returned to stroke of the second eight.

Race With Union Boat Club.

Tomorrow these new seatings will be tested when the first and second crews will race the Union Boat Club over the mile and seven-eighths course from Cottage Farm Bridge to the Union Boat House in the Basin. This race will also be the first time that the University eight has had an opportunity to test the new shell built by Davy, which will be used in the Annapolis race.

The new seating is as follows:

University A.--Bow, Davis, 2, Duncan; 3, Burden; 4, Kane; 5, Sedgwick; 6, McCagg; 7, Terry; stroke, Olmsted; coxswain, Williams.

University B.--Bow, Atkinson; 2, C. F. Batchelder; 3, Appleton; 4, Lothrop; 5, Damon; 6, Morris; 7, Pond; stroke, Jenney; coxswain, Peirson.

Today the first of the weekly regattas of the "Ladder Tournament" will be held, in which all the 1923 crews from two down, and all the class crews, will take part. This tournament is designed to increase the interest in rowing as well as develop future University material. The eights will be ranked according to the results of these races, which will be held over the half-mile course in front of the Newell Boathouse; the tournament is so planned that should crew 5 challenge crew 4, and win the race, crew 5 there-upon becomes crew 4, and number 4 drops down a rung in the ladder