PENN. WINS MEDLEY RACE

HANDICAP MEET EXCITING

E. O. Gourdin '21 captured third place in the hop, step and jump yesterday at the Penn. Relay Carnival with a distance of 48 feet, 6 3-4 inches. Landers of Penn. won the event. Penn. was victorious in the American College Spring Medley Championship in which the Crimson quartet came in fifth. J. M. Watt of Cornell broke the world's record in the 440-yard hurdles, covering the distance in 54 2-5 seconds.

Handicap Meet Success.

Although the Penn, relay and Freshman runners were not entered, the annual Spring Handicap Meet held yesterday afternoon was very successful and many of the events were exceedingly close.

R. W. Fitts, Unc., was the high point scorer of the day, gathering in 12 points by winning first place in the 220 low hurdles and tying for first in the high jump and second place in the 120-yard high hurdles.

The two-mile race, won by Burnham Lewis '20, was the best race of the afternoon. Lewis with a 25-yard handicap, took the lead in the fifth lap and held it until the end, beating out E. L. Bond, E.S., by 50 yards. In the quarter-mile, C. A. Page '21 gained the lead on the last turn and breasted the tape four yards ahead of H. W. Howe '22.