DRAMATIC CLUB PLAY IS AMUSING, WITTY COMEDY

Consists of Ludicrous Situations and Dialogues--Miss Sands in Leading Role.

"The Governor's Wife", the play by Jacinto Benevente selected by the Dramatic Club for its spring production, is a sparkling comedy of rapid-fire dialogue and ludicrous situations, and presents a most entertaining picture of the provincial Spaniard's attitude on politics and on women. In the first act the many persons in the play are introduced and characterized by the quips and retorts about the tables at a cafe in Moraleda. Don Rosendo, the source of all current gossip, here gives us sidelights on all the notable characters in town.

The interest in the second act centers about Don Santiago, the poor harrassed governor who, trying to write an official communication to Madrid, finds that all his secretaries are employed by his wife preparing for a fireworks celebration. When finally he gets started he is continually interrupted by arriving guests, and is further discomfited by twice having to contradict an official order at the request of his persuasive wife. In the third act, much amusement is again found in the plight of the governor, who for the first time in his life presides at a bull-fight, and is quite unable to cope with the whims of the vacillating crowd, which at one moment applauds him and the next drowns out the noise of the band with its hisses.

Intrigues Prominent.

Political and social intrigues figure prominently in the development of the plot. Besides the governor and his wife, Don Baldomero, a wealthy land-owner, and Manolo, the governor's private secretary, who is amorously inclined toward the governor's wife, are important characters in the story.

Miss Dorothy Sands is taking the leading role as "The Governor's Wife." Miss Sands has had considerable experience in dramatics, having been prominent in 47 Workshop productions for several years. The long and difficult part of Josefina, around which the entire play revolves, will require acting of the highest order, and the Dramatic Club feels that it is very fortunate in having Miss Sands as the leading lady.

Tickets for "The Governor's Wife," which is to be performed in Boston at the Copley Theatre on the afternoon of Wednesday, May 19, and in Cambridge at the Pi Eta Theatre on the evenings of May 18 and 20, are on sale today at Herrick's, the Copley Theatre, Leavitt & Peirce's, and the Co-operative Branch at $2.20 for the Cambridge shows and $1.65 for the Boston one. A fourth performance has been arranged for the evening of Saturday, May 22, at Wellesley College, for which, as well as for the other performances, tickets may be obtained from G. C. Noyes '20 at Thayer 62. There will be dancing after the Cambridge and Wellesley productions