FRESHMEN OUTDISTANCED BY EXETER TEAM ON TRACK

Waterman Covers Century and Furlong Events in Excellent Time--Bennett Hurt.

Running in the driving rain on Saturday, the Freshman track team was defeated by Exeter, 65 2-3 to 42 1-3. The meet was featured by the performance of Captain F. W. Waterman, leader of the Academy team, who covered the century dash in 10 seconds and the 220 in 22 2-5 seconds. H. C. Emery of Exeter was the high point scorer of the meet, totalling 13 points by taking first places in the hammer-throw and shot-put and second in the high-hurdles. The track was quite soft and the field events were held under severe difficulties, for the ground was extremely muddy, making good take-offs practically impossible.

The first event of the afternoon, the high-hurdles, was won by C. H. Hawes '23, Emery, of Exeter, and W. C. Bennett, of the Freshman team, scoring second and third. R. D. Howard, the yearling's star sprinter, was but a yard behind Waterman in the 100-yard dash with V. Chapin '23, third. Exeter gathered in all nine points in the mile-run, M. K. Douglas, the winner, covering the distance in 4 minutes, 37 seconds. Second and third places went to Exeter in the quarter-mile, which was won by Captain J. E. Kennedy in 51 2-5 seconds.

Bennett Hurt in Hurdle Race.

W. C. Bennett '23, when leading S. B. Ferguson by seven yards in the low hurdles, tripped on the last one and fell., so that the Exeter man came in first. Bennett cut his legs badly on the cinders and will probably be lost to the team for the Yale meet. Douglas and Waterman were again victorious in the half-mile and 220 respectively, the former winning his race in the exceedingly fast time of 2 minutes, 1 3-5 seconds.

Emery scored again in the hammer-throw and shot-put with distances of 151 feet, 4 inches in the former, and 42 feet, 2 inches in the latter. The yearlings took first in both the high-jump and bole-vault, A. K. Murray clearing the high-jump bar at 5 feet, 6 inches, and H. R. Davis vaulting 10 feet. The running broad-jump resulted in a tie for first place between two Exenians, P. W. Goodell of the Crimson outfit scoring third.