MR. LASKI GIVES UP UNIVERSITY POSITION

HAS BRILLIANT RECORD

Barold J. Laski, Lecturer on History at the University, and Tutor in the Division of History, Government and Economics, has been appointed full professor of Political Science at the London School of Economics and has resigned from the Harvard teaching staff in order to accept this appointment. Mr. Laski is the author of "Problems of Sovereignty" and "Authority in the Modern State." Although only 26 years old, he has had an unusual record as a brilliant scholar and stimulating teacher in the fields of History and Government.

Radical Tendency Criticised.

Last autumn, during the early days of the Endowment Fund campaign, he was under fire for his alleged radical tendencies and there was some pressure brought upon the Governing Boards for his removal. The University authorities, however, maintained the Harvard tradition of academic freedom, and the Board of Overseers, after a careful consideration of the question, accepted the report of their Executive Committee "that they had collected information from all available sources and were satisfied that Mr. Laski's opinions had been misunderstood and misinterpreted, and that no further action should be taken."

A number of gifts to the Endowment Fund were said to have been withheld owing to the presence of Mr. Laski on the University staff. On the other hand, several gifts are attributed directly to the admiration of the givers of the University's stand on behalf of academic freedom.

The London School of Economics, in which Mr. Laski will serve as professor, is a department of the University of London.