GENERAL NOLEN SPEAKS BEFORE SHANNON POST

ELECTION TOMORROW ALSO

Brigadier-General Dennis E. Nolen, head of the military intelligence service of the A. E. F., will speak at the meeting of the Shannon Post of the American Legion to be held in the Living Room of the Union at 8 o'clock tomorrow evening. At this meeting P. B. Elliott, Occ., will also speak, and the election of officers for next year will be held.

General Nolen, who will speak on "The Spirit of the A. E. F.", is at present at the Army War College in charge of instruction in military intelligence work with a peace-time rank of Lieutenant Colonel. During the war, as the head of the military intelligence service in the A. E. F., he did signal service in organizing and conducting this department. It was due chiefly to his efforts and those of Colonel Arthur L. Conger '94 that the Military Intelligence Department attained such a high grade of efficiency during the war. General Mangin, of the French Army, in speaking of General Nolen's work, said: "The Intelligence Department of the A. E. F. was the first branch of the American staff to learn to function properly under modern conditions."

Led 28th Division in Argonne.

In addition to being an efficient staff officer. General Nolen won also the reputation of being one of the most capable line officers in the Expeditionary Forces. During the Argonne drive in the early fall of 1918, he was put in charge temporarily of the 28th Division and led it through that crucial period with distinction.

Elliott, who was a second lieutenant in Colonel Shannon's regiment when the latter was killed at Chateau-Thierry, will speak on his experiences under Colonel Shannon.

The election of officers will take place after the speeches; only members of the Shannon Post will be allowed to vote. The nominations are as follows:

Commander.

W. G. Brocker '22, J. I. Coolidge '95.

Vice-Commander.

H. H. Faxon '21, C. F. Frazier 1G.B., D. R. Hawkins, 2L.

Adjutant.

K. B. Murdock '16, Paul Withington '10.

Assistant Adjutant.

L. K. Garrison 1L., Ford Hibbard, 1G.B.

Historian.

H. D. Smith '21, K. G. T. Webster '93.

Chaplain.

J. T. Addison '19, Murray Duart '04.

Sergeant-at-Arms.

C. F. Havemeyer '21, R. M. Sedgwick '21.

Executive Committee.

C. C. Caner 2M., R. M. Eaton, A.M. '17, R. L. Finley '21, R. L. Goodale, 1M., Louis Grandgent '09, R. G. Hadley '20, R. I. Lee '02, D. M. Little '18, F. A. Little 2L., R. A. Lovett 1L., T. Lyman '97, W. Rand 2L., F. H. Turnbull '19, B. Wharton '22, F. B. Whitman 1G.B.