In Support of D'Annunzio.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It was impossible for me to pass by your interesting editorial on Gabriele D'Annunzio without writing you these few words, for by all means I do not wish Harvard men to have that impression of the poet that you have given them until they have looked a little deeper into the matter.

I frankly admit that D'Annunzio has been "rebuffed by the government at Rome"; but there is a very important reason why he has only been rebuffed and not attacked, and that is because he is backed heart and soul by the Italian people and the Italian army. . .D'Annunbio entered Flume last September, yet in spite of many threats from the Allied governments, he is still there with his "Arditi," the flower of the Italian army. Who has supported him and his followers if not the Italian people? Every day contributions have been pouring into Flume not only from all the Saturnian states, but also from all parts of the western hemisphere. For example, "II Progresso Italo-Americano" through popular subscriptions has raised about $1,000,000 lire "Pro D'Annunzio e Flume." The Italians of South America have done ever better, and please understand that the contributions have by no means ended.

The words attributed to D'Annunzio in your editorial originated from the correspondent of the Associated Press at Flume. He is the same man who said that D'Annunzio had been assassinated, the same man who has told us more than 15 times that the Flumans are disgusted with D'Annunzio and that his "tenure of control of Flume" is "a matter of a few weeks at the most"; in short, he is the same man who has been so instrumental in conducting a campaign of slander against Italy and anything Italian. I deeply regret that the CRIMSON is humming in union with such an insidious propagandist:

Whatever the outcome of Flume might be, he who led the Italian people on the right side of war, he who sacrificed much for his country's sake, he who set aflame the hearts of patriotism after the disaster of Caporetto, he who with his "Arditi" answered, the touching appeal of a people about to be sacrificed, he, Gabriele D'Annunzio, will always be immortal to all true and loyal Italians! FRANK E. LA CAUZA '23