LEGION ELECTS PROF. COOLIDGE COMMANDER

DEAN MURDOCK ADJUTANT

Julian Lowell Coolidge '95 was elected Commander of the James A. Shannon Post of the American Legion at the meeting which was held in the Living Room of the Union early yesterday evening. Henry Hardwick Faxon '21, of Quincy, was elected Vice-Commander of the Post.

The other officers are as follows:

Adjutant: K. B. Murdock '16.

Assistant Adjutant: L. K. Garrison 1L.

Historian: K. G. T. Webster '93.

Chaplain: J. T. Addison '99.

Sergeant-at-Arms: R. M. Sedgwick '21.

Executive Committee: T. Lanman '97, Louis Grandgent '02, R. I. Lee '02, D. M. Little '18, C. C. Caner 2M., R. G. Hadley '20, B. Wharton '22.

In his speech before the Post, Brigadier-General D. E. Nolen spoke on the "Spirit of the A. E. F." and offered special tribute to Colonel James Andrew Shannon, sometime commander of the Harvard R. O. T. C.

"The spirit of the A. E. F.,; he said, "is a combination of the spirit of devotion to duty, of the spirit of valor, and of the spirit of sacrifice; furthermore, it is my belief that Colonel J. A. Shannon exemplifies, more than any other officer I met in France, this spirit. While in command of the 109th and 112th Divisions he displayed extraordinary ability of leadership; he was always calm and resourceful and a great inspiration to his officers and men. In his loss the Americans lost one of the most brilliant of its young officers."